Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Draft: Worth, Significance, Time

Last night, the MLB Draft began its incredibly long process in recruiting young talent from college and high school to have a major league career. Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper, the #1 overall draft pick from the past two drafts have been holding up with the Washington Nationals (the Tommy John was just a speed bump).  That's pretty cool, I guess.
What about those other guys?

That's what I begin to have a problem with.

Don't get me wrong, the Draft can be incredibly important in sports like the NBA, NFL, and MLS, but in the NHL and MLB, you have to ask questions on the significance of the draft.
With the first leagues that I mentioned, note that those leagues do not have an extensive minor league system. The major problem that I have is that the shining talent who were drafted out of, say, LSU or Michigan could never see the light of day in the big spotlight. For instance, say an LSU outfielder was drafted in the third round in his senior year. There's a pretty big chance that he could never make it past AA or AAA (which would be worse because that's a step before the big leagues). For another example, say a kid from Michigan was drafted in the sixth round out of high school and hockey is all he wants to do. He may be stuck in the AHL for many years after signing, and might not even make it to the NHL for a long enough pro career.

If I worked hard for something, I'd wanna get it within a few years if you get what I'm saying.
Not like this...but humor me.

With something like the NFL Draft, sure they have the preseason and their own forms of tryouts and such, but you at least get a chance to play against the big guys before the cutting time comes. In MLS, you play with the reserves (even the big time guys) who don't start the games. In the NBA, they have their D-League, but there's always the chance of being brought up due to the roster length and injuries.

Another issue I have is certain drafts only broadcasting the first five rounds or so. From what I know, MLB has about 40 rounds or so (dead serious) and hundreds of men are drafted every year. I know...it almost sounds like World War 2 every year. Luckily, they have the choice of signing or not (too soon?). Some boys will go to great length to get there.
Oh look, I'm pointing fingers at Bryce Harper again. He drops out of high school, gets his GED, goes to Junior College and then gets what he wants. That's almost like...the process mentioned :20 into this video. It's a bit extreme. But I guess that's what people will do for love.

But anyway, back to time consumption.
Is the draft for everybody?

The few times I've watched any draft, I started falling asleep. Yes, me, the one who writes about sports. I've even dozed through the NFL Draft. There are some hardcore people out there who do follow the college sports and can follow the draft religiously. I'm not really at that level. It's not because I'm a woman, it's just the logistics of the whole thing is a massive turnoff. It's like a huge game of Stratego played across the country. It's a game intense enough to make you wet your pants in fear.
You see, I don't get entertainment out of that kind of pain. Other people wouldn't want it, either. Unless if you really, truly follow the sport and watch NCAA like it's your absolute job, then the draft is not for you. This isn't a career yet, so I can't say that I like the draft. Yet.

To me, the draft is just something that happens. It's almost like the Circle of Life. You get caught up in it, but this "circle" drops you off somewhere in which you find your role. It's something you can't avoid. If you don't get it, then don't try too hard to understand it, because your head will really hurt since there are all of these guys you don't know coming out of the woodwork. Some women would like that, but only in person.
Anyway.
The draft is incredibly complex and can often be a waste of time for some talent. While it's an accomplishment to be drafted, certain dreams won't always come true. In other cases, people's heads will hurt as to how the process works.

Hopefully I won't be one of those people soon enough.

--AZ

No comments: